Monday, April 12, 2004

and why i'm not a princess....

when you think princess, you think pink, dresses, crowns, tiaras...which are all fun of course, but definetly not me. i do like the ocassional dress up but if i can help it i stay as far as i can from pink...and ruffles, bows, little flower prints, frilly things....and the list goes on. my favorite kind of clothes are bold colors...blue, red, green, black, white, khaki, maroon, yellow...all of those in solid color. i'll also wear strips, polka dots (it seems to be a fashion coming back), and some large flower prints. but could i find that this weekend? noooo...

my mom took me shopping. now all of you should know that when your mom offers to take you shopping you jump on it as it doesn't happen often. but on saturday, it turned into more of a headache for all of us than i expected. we started out at marshal fields, which did have some decent stuff. but i made it clear there that i would not be seen in pastel colors unless blue or green and absolutely NO PINK. or for sure pastel pink. if i like the cut and style and it's in a dark pink, i'll at least try it on. at MF we found a black skirt that had a nice flow on it and that was it...i think i tried on 20 outfits...none of them satisfying enough for me. which leads me to my other problem...my mom's and my views on clothes. she thinks that skirts and pants should be worn up above the belly button. i believe that they should be right below, that's where it's most comfortable for me. i also couldn't find any shirts that fit me nicely, even though she says that they did, i really disagreed. i think part of the problem was that i was trying to find a spring shirt and it was 30 degrees outside and i was freezing. trying on a tank top and thinking i would be able to wear it the next day just wasn't appealing to me. so out of MF we went with the black skirt on hold. then we went to maurices. and i LOVE maurices. but every time i held something up, my mom would disagree. then my mom would hold something up, and i would disagree...usually because it was pink, frilly, ruffly, had a bow or some other demented item attached to it. i did try somethings on, but none of them were working for me. then we went to jc penny's...nothing was spotted there...i tried on a couple of dresses and discovered that everything there, alot like target, is unproportional. if it fit me well in the waist, it didn't fit me on top...basically due to swimmer's shoulders and other unporportional objects. then we would find something that would fit me on top...and i looked huge as it was too big on the bottom! i was slightly pissed off after the whole ordeal as i find that no one knows how to size clothing anymore. it's the same way with jeans...they may fit me in the waiste but usually the thighs are WAY too tight...i'm lucky when i find a good pair of jeans which feel comfortable on me. so i think that i should either 1)write to most of the clothing companies and rip them out for not making porportional size fitting clothes (does that make sense?) or 2) start my own clothing company and make sizes that actually FIT people. and i'm not ranting because i'm larger than normal and i'm jealous of the skinny, size 1 girls...because i don't consider myself large. i'm actually a size 11, which makes it even harder for me to find clothes as that is the size of the normal american girl.

so yeah. that's how my saturday went. not too happy as i was actually looking forward to finding something new and exciting to wear to all my upcoming events (weddings, graduation...). but what can i do? maybe i will start my own clothing company...hmmmm....

No comments: